That Works for All of Us
Progressive Economic Narrative
An Economy that works for all of us, not just the wealthy few. Where our families and communities can thrive, regardless of the circumstances we were born into.
Americans understand that the economy now works for just the wealthy – and they want that to change. But they also want to be sure that we can grow the economy and increase prosperity. Our economic story shows that the policies that work for everyone are the same ones that boost economic growth.
The problem – For years, wages haven’t kept up with the cost of living. The cost of living is way too high – many of us are living paycheck to paycheck, struggling under the cost of basics like health care, housing, transportation, groceries. All while the super-rich and corporations use donations and lobbyists to manipulate the rules in their favor.
- It’s time to rewrite the rules to people and families first, instead of the interests of just the wealthy and corporate CEOs.
- The powerful benefit by dividing the rest of us by our race or gender, where we live or where we come from, while they rig the economic rules in their favor. The super-rich and corporations use campaign donations and lobbyists to get even richer at the expense of everyday Americans.
Solution – We should make improving the incomes of everyday Americans our first priority. The more people who have the opportunity to fully participate in our economy, the better we all do and the better our country does.
- Working families and the middle class are the engines of our economy. When we have good jobs so we can care for and support our families, educate our children, afford our health care, shop in our neighborhoods and retire in security, we drive the economy forward and build thriving communities.
- Our success depends on the success of those around us. Our communities thrive when everyone thrives.
How we get there – We build an economy that works for all of us by decisions we make together. It’s time to rewrite the rules of the economy and politics to benefit all Americans by [issue examples in values terms]…:
- Economic example: Raising wages for working people with equal pay for women, boosting the minimum wage and creating more family-supporting jobs by investing in infrastructure and clean, renewable energy.
- Political example: Rewrite the rules of elections so that everyday Americans can represent us by running for office on the strength of their support from small donations—not big checks from the wealthiest Americans and CEOs.
- Talking about race: Taking down the barriers – discrimination in hiring, underfunded schools, a biased criminal justice system – that block equal opportunities for Blacks and Latinos.
Call to action – Together we can build an America that works for all of us, not just the wealthy few.
- The issue is not the size of our government, it’s who our government works for: the super-rich and corporate CEOs or everyday Americans?
- We’re working to build an America that works for all of us, not just the wealthy and well connected. Where our families and communities thrive.
- When you said the pledge of allegiance was it for liberty and justice for the few, for the super-rich? Or for all? Americans have done this before. We can do it again. Together we can build an America with liberty and justice for all for all of us.
To access the Speaker notes: on the Google Slides control panel select the options button (gear icon), then open speaker notes.
Toolkit for Progressive Economic Narrative
Boost or Bust – animated video on economy boosting jobs
Training on how to put the Progressive Economic Narrative in your own words
Links to economic research behind the narrative [all attached].