Role of Government
A Government that Works for All of Us… Not Just the Wealthy
Our government should work for all of us not just the wealthy and powerful.
The problem – More and more Americans don’t feel like we have a say in our government’s decisions because the wealthy and big corporations use campaign contributions and lobbying to manipulate the rules in their favor.
Our solution – When we have an equal voice and equal say, we can create thriving communities through our government.
- Government is how we build the public structures that are the foundation of our society and fundamental to our prosperity, freedom, security, opportunity and a strong middle-class.
How we get there – It’s time to rewrite the rules so that our government acts by and for everyday Americans.
- When our government represents us:
We create prosperity by building modern transportation and communications grids and with great public schools and colleges.
We protect our families and communities with important laws about clean air, food and safe workplaces.
We assure our security with vital family and community services and the guarantees of Medicare, Medicaid, the Affordable Care Act and Social Security.
- We must rewrite the rules of elections so that everyday Americans can represent us by running for office on the strength of their support from small donations—not big checks from the wealthiest Americans.
Call to action – It’s up to us to stand up for a government that works for all of us, not just the wealthy.
- The issue is not the size of our government, it’s who our government works for: the super-rich and corporate CEOs or working families and the middle class?
- Everyone should vote and when everyday people take steps just beyond voting we can have a say in how decisions are made in our communities and our state.
- Our government should be by and for all the people, not just the most powerful.
- We have a shared responsibility to maintain the public things we depend on for our freedom and our quality of life.
- When you said the pledge of allegiance was it for liberty and justice for the few, for the super-rich? Or for all? Americans have done this before. We can do it again. Together we can build an America with liberty and justice for all of us.
By and for the people recommendations examples 2016